As a mail carrier, I love the Christmas season. Everyone is happy to see me and I get presents!! The other day I opened a mailbox and found a present from a family I didn't expect to give me one. Earlier in the year I killed their froglet (more than a tadpole, less than a frog). The box clearly said to leave it in a cool place, but I didn't see it. I put it in the metal mail box on a hot summer day and cooked the little guy.
On a side note, you can mail live creatures thru the mail. Normally, we only see butterflies and ladybugs, but I have seen crickets and baby chicks. I've even heard of fighting cocks, but I don't know how that could be legal.
So back to my story, I was surprised to get something from this house. The man is a UPS delivery guy and I suspected it was something he got from one of his customers. I don't really mind re-gifting when done well and this was a nice little set of a mug and packet of gourmet hot chocolate. When I got home, Jeff looked at the mug and it was stamped 1999 on the bottom. Who care's, it could have been a design from then, but still reasonably new. But later I looked at the hot chocolate. It expired in 2004!! How long does it take for pre-packaged hot chocolate to expire? I don't know, but I suspect it's a long time. I can't believe that this little set has been sitting in their house for 6 years. I can, however, believe that it has been floating around as a token gift to service people since then.
I think they're still mad about the froglet.
2 comments:
Expired froglet = expired hot chocolate
Message received. Subtle, but loud and clear.
i was thinking about putting this half eaten bag of baked cheetos in the mailbox.. but I ate them on the way out to the box
Post a Comment